JAN KOMASA’S "CORPUS CHRISTI" SELECTED AS POLAND'S OSCAR CANDIDATE
The Oscar Committee comprised of members of the Polish film industry and the Polish Film Institute, including Ewa Puszczyńska (chairwoman), Radosław Śmigulski, Łukasz Żal, Mariusz Łukomski, Jan A.P. Kaczmarek, Anna Zamecka oraz Małgorzata Szczepkowska-Kalemba has selected CORPUS CHRISTI (BOŻE CIAŁO) by Jan Komasa, to be Poland’s candidate for this year’s Academy Awards in the International Feature Film category.
Statement of the Oscar Comittee
“‘Corpus Christi’ is a universal, moving and provocative story about the spiritual transformation of man, a new look at faith in God. This is a mature, wise film created by a young artist.
The thrilling game of Bartosz Bielenia and the credible way of telling the story by Jan Komasa convince us that God can reveal himself in an unobvious way.
The reactions of viewers and critics in Venice and Toronto, as well as the interest of distributors from many countries, allow us to believe in the international success of the film.”
“Corpus Christi” was premiered in Venice Days, which runs in parallel with the Venice Film Festival. Jan Komasa’s latest film received two awards in Venice: Europa Cinemas Label and the Inclusive Award Edipo Re in Venice.
The film has been presented in the Contemporary World Cinema section of the Toronto Film Festival – the largest and most important event of its kind in North America. The Asian premiere will take place at the Busan International Film Festival in South Korea.
‘Corpus Christi’ is the story of a 20-year-old Daniel who experiences a spiritual transformation while living in a Youth Detention Center. He wants to become a priest but this is impossible because of his criminal record. When he is sent to work at a carpenter’s workshop in a small town, on arrival he dresses up as a priest and accidentally takes over the local parish. The arrival of the young, charismatic preacher is an opportunity for the local community to begin the healing process after a tragedy that happened there.
- Genre: drama
- Director: Jan Komasa
- Screenplay: Mateusz Pacewicz
- Production: Aurum Film
- Producers: Leszek Bodzak, Aneta Hickinbotham
- Creative producer: Krzysztof Rak
- Co-production: CANAL +, WFS Walter Film Studio, Podkarpackie Film Commission, Les Contes Modernes
- International sales agent: New Europe Film Sales
- Distribution in Poland: Kino Świat
- Co-financing: Polish Film Institute, CNC Cinemas du Monde – Institut Francais
- Cinematography: Piotr Sobociński Jr.
- Production design: Marek Zawierucha
- Costumes: Dorota Roqueplo
- Editing: Przemysław Chruścielewski
- Music: Evgueni and Sacha Galperine
- Cast: Bartosz Bielenia, Aleksandra Konieczna, Eliza Rycembel, Tomasz Ziętek, Łukasz Simlat, Leszek Lichota, Barbara Kurzaj, Zdzisław Wardejn.