Jury verdicts at the 32nd Polish Film Festival in Gdynia
A jury composed of Janusz Majewski, chairman, Andrzej Bartkowiak, Stefan Chwin, Jerzy Gruza, Piotr Fudakowski, Dorota Ignaczak, and Małgorzata Zajączkowska which met on 21 September 2007 made the following awards:
The Golden Lion Award for the Best Film and PLN 50 000 – Tricks (Sztuczki) by Andrzej
The Golden Lion Award for the Best Film Producer – Andrzej Jakimowski;
Special Award of the Jury – Louise’s Garden (Ogród Luizy) by Maciej Wojtyszko (PLN 15 000), and God’s Little Garden (U Pana Boga w ogródku) by Jacek Bromski (PLN 15 000);
The Polish Film Institute Award “Przyjaciel polskiej kinematografii” for supporting the Era New Horizons Festival was presented to Rafał Dudkiewicz, President of Wrocław, and Jerzy Kropiwnicki, President of Łódź, for introducing the first Regional Film Fund in Poland;
The Polish Filmmakers Association Award for creative contemporary presentation to the film Absolute Beginner (Aleja Gówniarzy) by Piotr Szczepański (PLN 20 000);
The President of Gdynia Award for an acting debut to Joanna Kulig for the film Wednesday, Thursday Morning (Środa, czwartek rano).
- for directing the film All Will Be Well (Wszystko będzie dobrze) to Tomasz Wiszniewski (PLN 20 000);
- for the script for the film Twists of Fate (Korowód) to Jerzy Stuhr (PLN 20 000);
- for directing to Łukasz Palkowski for Rezerwat (PLN 20 000), funded by PTK Centertel, Orange;
- for the woman’s role in the film Time to Die (Pora umierać) to Danuta Szaflarska (PLN 15 000);
- for the man’s role in the film All Will Be Well and The State Witness (Świadek koronny) to Robert Więckiewicz (PLN 15 000);
- for cinematography to Tricks (Sztuczki) to Adam Bajerski (PLN 15 000);
- for music to the film All Will Be Well to Michał Lorenc (PLN 15 000);
- for scenography in Tomorrow We’re Going to the Movies (Jutro idziemy do kina) to Magdalena Dipont (PLN 15 000);
- for best supporting actress in the film Rezerwat to Sonia Bohosiewicz (PLN 12 000);
- for the best supporting actor in the film Benek for Zbigniew Stryj (PLN 12 000);
- for sound effects in the film Time to Die to Marcin Kasiński, Kacper Habisiak and Michał Pajdiak (PLN 12 000);
- for editing the film Rezerwat to Paweł Witecki (PLN 12 000);
- for costumes in the film Tomorrow We’re Going to the Movies to Magdalena Biedrzycka and Andrzej Szenajch (PLN 12 000).
The jury awarded Julia Pietrucha for acting in Tomorrow We’re Going to the Movies (PLN 6 000), and Marcin Dorociński for acting in Louise’s Garden (PLN 6 000).
INDEPENDENT CINEMA COMPETITION
The jury at the 6th Independent Cinema Competition comprising Piotr Łazarkiewicz, director (chairman); Marta Siwek, independent cinema producer; Jarek Kupść, director of last year’s edition; Tomasz Szafrański, director; and Andrzej Wolf, cameraman, after watching 21 films that were qualified for the competition by the Organization Committee, made the following awards:
Grand Prix and PLN 10 000 given unanimously to Radosław Markiewicz for Paradise Too Far Away (Raj za daleko);
Special Award of the Jury and PLN 5 000 to Bodo Kox for Don’t Panic (Nie panikuj);
Mention and PLN 1250 – Abelard Giza for the film W stepie szerokim;
Mention and PLN 1250 – Michał Szcześniak for the film Łódka;
Mention and PLN 1250 – Władysław Sikora for the film Zamknięci w celuloidzie;
Mention and PLN 1250 – Hubert Gotkowski for the film Manna.
YOUNG VIEWER COMPETITION
The Jury at the Young Viewer Competition comprising Piotr Łazarkiewicz, director and chairman; Marta Siwek, independent cinema festivals producer; Jacek Kupść, director, laureate of last year’s edition of the competition; Tomasz Szafrański, director; and Andrzej Wolf, cameraman, after watching 34 films that were qualified by the Organization Committee, presented the following prizes:
Grand Prix and PLN 7 000 – Sylwester Jakimow for Kongola;
Special Award of the Jury and PLN 3 000 – Katarzyna Rosłaniec for Galerianki;
The Polish Filmmakers Association Special Award and PLN 2 500 – Bartek Konopka for Trójka do wzięcia;
The Polish Filmmakers Association Special Award and PLN 2 500 – Justyna Łuczaj-Salej for T.Rickster;
Honourable Mention – Anna Kazejak-Dawid for Kilka prostych słów;
Honourable Mention – Tomasz Jurkiewicz for Próba mikrofonu;
Honourable Mention – Nenad Miković for Edina.
The jury gave special attention to the increasing technical level and narrative efficiency of the awarded independent creators, and the high, professional level of students’ films. With pleasure, it noticed the decreasing difference between films created by film schools, and the fact that the creators are in many aspects prepared for a feature debut. The films that were viewed tell something important about the times we live in, while simultaneously being considerate of viewers.
Translated by Monika Miziniak | Edited by Patricia Koza